English Extension 2 specialist, and mentor
Sydney tutor in Creative Writing, English
Literature, Essay Writing
Service areasCamperdown, Newtown, Eastern Suburbs
English Extension 2 specialist and mentor. With you from concept to completion. First class to discuss your concept is free! Short Story, Poetry, Critical Response.
English Extension 2 is challenging, but I will make it as enjoyable and rewarding as it should be.
The HSC English Extension 2 Course is the most demanding (and rewarding) HSC English course available to high school students. It requires the completion of an extended composition (Major Work) which students live and breathe for almost 12 months, and a Reflection Statement. For many students, it will be the most substantial single composition they ever complete in their lives.
As a writer, I personally understand the sustained, and at times agonising, effort required to succeed in producing a Major Work, and the gnawing doubt that can affect a student's ability, or confidence to complete. I bring this personal understanding to all of my students, and not only assist them in completing the Course, but also producing work they can be proud of, and happy to read many years later.
I have guided students for five years through the complex requirements of the English Extension 2 Course and under my guidance and mentorship all of my students have improved their writing, research skills or their internal rank.
Of the final 2017 English Extension 2 ranks currently available to me, my students at Danebank achieved first and second.
I specialise in mentoring students in the preparation of Short Story(ies), Poem(s) and Critical Response.
As a brief overview, I assist my students with:
* all stages of planning and completing the Major Work, Journal and Reflection Statement;
* developing an extended composition which demonstrates depth, insight, originality, skills in independent investigation and textual integrity;
* your ongoing, systematic and rigorous investigation (independent research) into your chosen area;
* all of the internal assessments including the Viva Voce, Report, and Draft Major Work and Reflection on progress
Each class I provide students with a practical skill, that will not only assist in the Extension 2 Course, but also in their personal and academic lives beyond the HSC. I provide below a brief introduction, and summary, to my teaching timetable for short story composition:
First term of HSC Course (term 4):
* assist you in identifying an area of personal interest from your study of the preliminary and HSC English Advanced, and Extension Courses
* Workshop on research and research methods
* Writing exercises and workshops
* establish the foundations of your Major Work journal
* Establish a proposal and preliminary concept
* Prepare for the Viva Voce
First term into Second term of Course (including the Christmas break):
* Focused workshops on the rudiments of narrative (using literary examples):
* language, grammar, structure and punctuation
* Narrative point of view and narrative voice
* Style and technique
The Second and Third terms of the Course are dedicated to sustained, focused and practical composition (executing, and finalising a full draft of your Major Work).
The Third and Fourth terms of the Course are dedicated to editing of the Major Work (minimum of 8 weeks) and finalisation of the Reflection.
I hold a Bachelor of Arts (English and Art History) with First Class Honours (USYD), and also holds a Juris Doctor (USYD). I am enrolling into a Master of Creative Writing in 2018, and am also currently working on a book of short stories about my experiences as a litigation lawyer.
In 2015-2016 I worked full time in a large tutoring centre in Sydney, and have since established my own tutoring business, Ion Education, and have taught all levels of high school English (7-12), over 300 students in English, but now specialise in Extension 2.
Master of Creative Writing (USYD) (Current)
BA (Hons 1) Majoring in English Literature with a 20,000 word thesis USYD (2009)
JD (Juris Doctor) USYD (2012)
Walter Reid Memorial Prize for academic excellence USYD (2009)
Highest Aggregate Mark Environmental Law LPAB (2014)
More than 3000 face to face hours of full-time tutoring 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018
First class to discuss concept is free
Special Offer - First class, to discuss your concept, is free.
Joined TutorFinder on 24-Sep-2016 (updated profile on 13-Apr-2018)