Melbourne tutor in Calculus, Maths, Statistics, VCE Mathematical Methods, VCE Specialist
(6 student reviews)
**NO MORE PLACES FOR 2018. PLEASE ENQ FOR 2019**
----- About me -----
My name is Ming.
My experience and qualifications include:
- B-COM University of Melbourne (Actuarial & First Class Hons.)
- Excellence in VCE (99 ATAR, 48 in Maths Methods & perfect score of 50 in Specialist Mathematics; VCE Methods DUX)
- Excellence in University (First Class Hons., 90+ for many mathematics subjects)
- Experience in maths and science content writing for several large educational companies (Cambridge University Press Edu. Australia, Edrolo, Texas Instruments & more!)
- Answer-checking, editing and reviewing 20+ high-school level maths and science texts including Year 7 - VCE, HSC in NSW and QCE published by Cambridge University Press Education.
- Presenting online VCE Specialist Mathematics videos for Cambridge Senior Mathematics
- Four years tutoring experience with many students achieving excellence and a greater appreciation for mathematics.
----- Objectives -----
I stand by the fundamental idea that every child has the capacity to achieve success, however the underlying problem is that not all children can envision themselves as being capable of excellence.
My objective is to provide the critical guidance, support and teaching required so your child can be confident in knowing that they are 'doing it right'. Every single time.
Ultimately, I not only want to help my students excel in their studies, but to also foster a lasting appreciation for the beauty and simplicity of mathematics.
----- Benefits of private tuition ------
1. Teacher too confusing? I will structure clear lessons for you.
2. Want to accelerate? I will cover the course with you.
3. Trouble with motivation? I will help you schedule.
4. Personalised classes with time, location and pace tailored to your needs.
5. There are too many things that teachers don't know. This means that many just try and explain the concepts and do not show students how to actually get the marks. 6. I will show you how to use the CAS calculator efficiently and to your advantage.
7. Regular testing with difficult SAC/exam style questions.
8. Free after-hours consultation on any questions you may have
9. Having a one-to-one mentor that can accurately determine your child's weaknesses -- not just in terms of concepts, but also from their study habits and other factors.
My goals to you are:
- Helping your child achieve the best conceptual understanding.
- I strive to have my students to think on their feet. Ultimately this will guide them to become more independent -- not only excelling in their studies but to also become critical-thinkers.
----- Why choose me? -----
1. I am flexible. You can choose a time and day of your liking and I will accommodate this for you.
2. I will travel to a location of your choice. No travel costs to worry about.
3. I have successful first hand experience of the VCE. I know the barriers to success and how to overcome them. I will show you the strategies to achieving excellence.
4. I have tutored many students of different backgrounds with many achieving success. 5. After-hours support is unlimited and free. I have had past students asking me questions at midnight!
6. I am very familiar with the new study designs. I have written, edited, checked and produced material for almost all of the new Cambridge EMAC/VCE maths books.
7. I have access to the latest information and materials which is crucial for success as the study design has changed recently. Many other tutors only have older resources which no longer meet the requirements of the new study design.
I have tutored students from various schools, including Avila College, Brighton Secondary, Canterbury Girls, Mac.Robertson's, Melbourne High, Mount Waverley Secondary, Kew High School, PLC Burwood, St Catherine's Toorak, Scotch College, Wantirna Secondary College, Suzanne Cory, Vermont S.C and first-year university subjects (University of Melbourne, Monash University, Swinburne and Deakin).
----- Results ------
*Results of VCE Maths Methods & Specialist Maths students: 6x 40+ raw scores out of a total of 7 subjects.
*Results of VCE Further Mathematics students: 1x 40+ raw score out of 1 subject.
*Results of university students: 2x H1 First Class Honours (93 and 86) in Calculus 1 and Linear Algebra.
----- What is offered -----
*VCE Specialist Mathematics
*VCE Mathematical Methods *Year 10 mathematics
Please contact me if you would like to talk about other subjects
----- Contact me & availability ------
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or are interested in tuition.
Sessions may be on a casual or ongoing basis and can be held in the comfort of your own home.
Ming has tutored the following subjects before:
*VCE General Maths
*VCE Maths Methods
*VCE Specialist Maths
*Year 7 - 10 Mathematics
*Ming participated actively at the Texas Instruments Learn/Energise/Connect (LEC) event. He attended this with one of the most inspirational and well renowned educators from Victoria, demonstrating the functions
of the Texas Instruments TI-Nspire CAS calculator to various participants, comprised of teachers and students visiting from all over Australia.
*Mathematical Methods: 48 raw (50 scaled)
*Specialist Mathematics: 50 raw (55 scaled)
University of Melbourne - B-COM (Actuarial Studies)
*Working With Childrens Check (WWWC)
$80/hour fee flat. There are no fees for travelling to you.
Joined TutorFinder on 14-Nov-2014 (updated profile on 09-Jun-2018)