Brisbane Tutor in UMAT, Medical Interviews, Doctor of Medicine, Medicine, Chemistry, Biology, English
, Maths, Legal Studies, Essay Writing,... (see below for full list of subjects and levels)
(39 student reviews)
As a qualified full-time tutor, I am able to ensure a supportive, always 1 on 1
mentoring environment, with a focus on the student being able to achieve independently outside of tutoring sessions. With the very high volume of students I take on each term and week; assignment structures, essay-writing and exam preparation strategies are always fresh in my mind.
I studied a High-Quality Honours Program at the University of Queensland which has rigorous specialisations in Chemistry, Biology and Critical Problem Solving. I have tutored primary and secondary school subjects for a number of years as a source of income to support my studies, and as a hobby, before moving towards a career in curriculum and education.
For Parents - I have no problem discussing their progress with you, voicing concerns, constructing an academic performance report or discussing (Giving an honest insider opinion) on Career paths. You name it, I've likely done it.
My main strength which applies to all levels of learning is that I can teach 'Easy'.This is a concept that I have learnt over many years of being a student myself as well as by tutoring. If you explain something in a difficult way, using unfamiliar terms
and convoluted symbols - It will be difficult, unfamiliar and convoluted to learn. Textbooks and sometimes Teachers tend to produce information in this way. I teach by explaining concepts in a way that a young person would understand, that is easily remembered and that won't take weeks to consolidate.
I enjoy teaching and imparting my own personal wisdom to the younger generation. I've been through what they are experiencing and picked up plenty of tricks along the way. Students that I have taken on improve a whole grade by their second semester. From utterly lacking confidence or feeling that subject or teacher is too difficult, students sometimes report to me that the assignments that we submit are the best that their teacher has read in a long while, to the astonishment of their classmates. They 'like school better now' and tell me they subscribed to science channels on youtube. I take immense pride in my student's work and pride myself on Excellence, students tell me my editing is the most detailed they have ever seen and joke that I must get no sleep.
When a student engages in Private Tuition I am available for them to ask questions 24/7 within reason, on a moderated online platform of their choosing - I can proofread texts, brainstorm ideas and suggest projects - Students ask me to explain terms and concepts in easy to understand language as they go about their everyday life - They are constantly learning.
I also specialise in mentoring high achieving students, perfecting assignments and exam nuances to give them that extra edge - I will run as fast as they can. I have extensive experience in coaching admission tests such as UMAT (Also as a UMAT prep question developer), medical school interviews and applications. All my year 12 graduates in this capacity achieve single digit OPs (1-3) and many go on to study medicine, dentistry, and Law.
I hold a valid Government Blue Card for child-related employment. I have flexible after-school hours on weekdays and on the weekends. I prefer to tutor from my office in Mansfield, CBD (weekday mornings only), or my address in Carindale as I have access to a variety of resources. However, home visits or sessions at a venue (State Library, University/School etc) can be arranged.
Update 4/01/2017:- Happy New Year - Congratulations to my UMAT students who received 98, 97 & 95 percentiles - no one received lower than 77 which is a new record!
4 OP 1's and 7 OP 2's! Great Work Class of 2016Update 7/11/2017:- As my current students are graduating I am now accepting a limited number of additional students on a selection basis. (Please send an email or text message with as much detail regarding your request as possible - I teach full-time so calls may not reach me) Spaces will be limited as I am assuming a management role from this year
- UMAT - Tertiary
- Medical Interviews - Tertiary
- Doctor of Medicine - General
- Medicine - Tertiary
- Chemistry - Secondary, Tertiary
- Biology - Secondary, Tertiary
- English - Primary, Secondary
- Maths - Primary, Secondary
- Legal Studies - Secondary
- Essay Writing - Secondary, Tertiary
- History - Secondary
- Music Theory - Introduction
- Journalism - Tertiary
- Violin - Introduction
*Subcontracted Tutor for Grace Simpkins Personal Tutors - www.personaltutors.com.au
* Managing Director for Imperium Tutors - http://www.imperiumtutors.com.au
*Creative Writing/Editing/Music Critic/Photo Journalism/Media - https://www.triplejunearthed.com www.aaabackstage.com www.speakertv.com www.semplesize.com www.australianmusicscene.com
* Senior Educational Consultant (Course Facilitator/Question Writer) for Undergraduate Medicine Admission Test (UMAT) Prep Courses
*Tournament of Minds Chief Judge: Regional - Maths Engineering, State - English Literature, Science Technology, Spontaneous Challenge, Australasian Finals - Maths Engineering - http://www.tom.edu.au/
*UQ Ambassador/Careers Advisor
*UQ Chem1010 (1100) Course Tutor
*Tutoring for over 7 Years - Thousands of hours of tuition, graduated hundreds of students, with students staying on until they finish year 12 and some for four years and counting.
* Extensive experience with Primary School Core subjects to Years 7-12 English, Maths Years 7-
10 & Maths A/B Years 11-12
*Experience in teaching all coursework including the Sciences (e.g. Senior Biology & Chemistry), Music Theory, Legal/Social Studies and History.
* Intimately familiar with Assessment structures and teaching styles of all major metropolitan schools e.g. Brisbane Grammar, Brisbane State High, Somerville etc
* Tertiary Tuition & Assignment Editing,
* 1000+ Assignments Assisted (incl. ERT/EEIs) with no results below B
* Tutoring for entrance exam prep, UMAT, Tertiary courses, last minute crash-course exam revision.
*University Admissions/applications, Careers/Course advice, Pathways to Medicine, resume writing
* Mentoring students - Almost All Year 12 graduates achieve single digit OPs - Many go onto study medicine/dentistry/law
* UQ Careers Ambassador
* Highest student UMAT results - 100, 98, 97 percentiles
* Bachelor of Pharmacy Honours Def(BPharm Hons.) - The University of Queensland
* Study Masters of Education
* Certificate of Professional Editing and Proofreading
* Pending accreditation Australian Tutoring Association https://ata.edu.au
* Published prize-winning essay on 'Shadow Education' and 'Central Health Practices'
* Justice of the Peace (Qualified)
* Violin: AMEB 8, Trinity Guildhall London 7 Theory: AMEB 5
* UMAT: 97 Percentile '13, 100 Percentile '16, Preparation Course Consultant (Question
Tester/Developer), IQ 126 S-B M T
* Languages: French Vietnamese Japanese Latin
- Private Tuition
- Teaching Tuition
- Online Help
The minimum hourly rate for private tuition is $50. Usually One Hour per Subject
Lessons for Year 11 and 12 Students are $60. Lessons after 8pm are an additional $20 per hour (Last lessons finishing at 10pm).
Year 12 students who require two hours or more per week may inquire for a reduced fixed rate.
UMAT coaching has a rate of $80/hr (Enquire for discounts) to cover the purchase of additional materials and specialised question design. As I provide exclusive UMAT material printed and compiled at my own expense, included in the lesson pricing, you stand to save hundreds without taking short and very expensive commerical workshops.
University assistance and Interview Coaching is at a tailored rate upon request. I can also edit essays, applications, and assignments upon request
Discounts are available for prepaid blocks of lessons at 6 hours -> (3 Weeks of 2-hour lessons or 6 Weeks of 1-hour lessons). This is the more popular choice.
Special Offer - UMAT is currently discounted for 6 week programs.
Profile last updated on 12-Jan-2018 (registered 05-Jul-2014)