Experienced VCE Mathematics, VCE Chemistry and VCE Biology Teacher
Melbourne tutor in Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths, Maths, Maths Methods, Physics, VCE Specialist Maths (Unit 3/4),
VCE Math Methods (Unit 1/2/3/4),
VCE Chemistry (Unit 1/2/3/4),
VCE Biology (Unit 3/4)
I travel to these locationsOnline
(6 student reviews)
I am a friendly, down-to-earth person, who really enjoys teaching mathematics and science. I started tutoring in 2005 (after finishing VCE in 2004), this quickly ignited my passion for teaching. I have been described as a patient, supportive and enthusiastic individual, and a teacher who genuinely cares and commits to every student I work with. I know what it feels like to be completely overwhelmed by a subject, my mission is to help students to feel more confident in their abilities and supported in their learning. I have seen many students bringing their "most dreaded subject", and have witnessed their transformation from overwhelmed, to more confident, calm(-er), and more in control of their studies! There have been students who completely transformed, and announced that the subject has became their favorite subject! It is amazing what a little bit of positive support and encouragement can do, and it's one of the reasons why I love doing what I do. I commit to every student and ensure they are gain something valuable from each session. I am up to date with the current VCAA study design (yes, even the 2020 one), this ensures that we are focusing on relevant content. My background and interests
Completing my studies in Biomedical Science, Chemical Engineering as well as Secondary Teaching, I have a versatile background in a number of different fields which allows me to support students in their learning. Every student is unique and has their own goals and skills - my aim as a teacher is to support the student that I am working with, so that they can do their absolute best. By providing a positive environment and catering for the students' needs based on their personality and learning preferences - I have found it very rewarding to work with them and push the limits of what is possible for them! I have many interests including travelling (my profile picture was taken in Rishikesh, India!), philosophy, psychology, reading, writing, teaching, business as well as personal development. I love learning and I am very curious about how things work and aim to integrate this into my teaching style - to ensure that students see the bigger picture. My teaching approach with students has helped many with increasing their confidence in a subject, feeling supported leading to a clear improvement in their marks. What are my strengths as a teacher?
For me teaching is a profession that is highly rewarding, it has a unique blend of strong communication, creativity, ability to think outside the box, as well as being perceptive and adaptive to each student’s individual learning needs. My past students have found sessions to be effective, many being surprised that the content that once stressed them out, became easy to follow! My aim is to help the student to understand the topic, together with suitable practice questions grows their confidence. Teaching for me is not about delivering information, my focus as a teacher is to understand how the information is relevant and how it can be integrated into the student's current sphere of knowledge. To teach effectively I need to understand a student's thinking process, how to make the content relevant to their current knowledge. I develop rapport with my students, I genuinely want to see where they might be stuck and help clarify those areas. This helps students feel comfortable asking questions and tuning into the lessons! What are tutoring sessions like?
Private sessions are tailored to the individual needs of the students. There are many options available, the most popular option is to progress through the entire curriculum of a subject. Sometimes students need to catch up, sometimes students want to prepare ahead, other times they just want to practice questions that are relevant to where they are at in school. I encourage students to practice relevant problem questions that are important for SACs and exams. During sessions I focus closely on answering techniques, providing students with a logical step by step process to tackle questions.
Usually the students I work with genuinely want to improve their grades, but the subject frustrates them, because the tests or SACs that are given at school are different, often more difficult, to their textbook questions. Many struggle with application style questions, where they have to convert their knowledge of a topic and translate it into practical use. They may have an understanding of the theory, but struggle connecting exactly how it needs to be used when answering a question! During lessons we practice applying the knowledge to unknown context - which is an important stage of active learning. This skill is usually something that high performing students have been able to master, and as a teacher I assist students to apply their knowledge to application style questions. How are sessions organized?
Sessions are tailored to the specific needs of each individual student. There is no right/wrong approach - it simply depends on what you prefer. I encourage active learning in sessions, which focuses on completing a range of different questions. However depending on the student's subject and preference, tutoring sessions have the following components:
- answering application style questions that are often found in SACs.
- weekly progression through the curriculum (theory) and exercise questions.
- help with homework questions (PS: I don't do their homework, I help them work through it!)
- preparation for tests and SACs.
- preparing for end of year examinations (not to late for 2020 - it's not over yet!).
- a blend of all of the above. Are you available for 2020?
Yes! Currently I have time to help students in Year 11 and 12 to prepare for their end of year examinations. I am empathetic to all students in Victoria right now, especially VCE students, and I can ensure that supportive and effective tutoring can increase their confidence in their field of study. Having a tutor with adequate experience is useful because it can saves time, reduces stress and helps motivate students to prepare for their final examinations.What do I teach?
- VCE Math Methods (Unit 1/2 or Unit 3/4)
- VCE Specialist Maths (Unit 3/4)
- VCE Chemistry (Unit 1/2 or Unit 3/4)
- VCE Biology (Unit 3/4)
- Science (Year 7 - 10)
- Mathematics (Year 7 - 10)
I am flexible and can alternate between subjects, depending on student's need, so it may be more cost effective for you. What are my rates? Private lessons (individual)
$70 per hour lesson (weekly is recommended)
The lesson is completed online, each class is tailored to the individual learning needs and pace of the student. This one:one tutoring, we go through relevant theory, exercises, practice tests/SACs. I can help with homework or clarifying theory that may need reinforcement. Students are highly encouraged to ask questions, they can also email me any problem questions they have from school. From past feedback, students generally find 1 hour sessions to be highly efficient and intensive, however if necessary additional lessons can be arranged. Contact Me
My phone number is 0401305399.
Please reach me via SMS (I don't pick up calls while I am working).
Just include your name, subject/s and available times for tutoring and I will contact you ASAP.
I look forward to hearing from you :)
- 15 years of VCE tutoring
- Taught at secondary school (VCE Methods, VCE Specialist)
- Tutored at Monash University and Federation University
- Assisted multiple students with a transformation from D's to A's
- Helped students exceed their predicted scores.
- Taught numerous VCE high achieving students.
- Many of my past students have now graduated Medicine, Law, Engineering, Pharmacy!
- Taught students that have achieved perfect study scores (50/50) and exceptional ATAR scores.
- Taught individuals from various selective schools such as Melbourne High, Nossal High School, Mac Robertson, John Monash Science School and various of private schools around Melbourne.
- Written VCE study guides and hundreds of practice exam questions, notes and powerpoint presentations related to the current VCE study course.
- Taught numerous students online and helped to increase their confidence and grades.
- Lecturer of VCE comprehensive program for Methods, Chemistry and Biology.
- I can work with any student who is open and willing to learn.
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Monash University) 2005-2007
- Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Monash University) 2008 - 2013
- Graduate Diploma of Secondary Education (ACU) 2015 - 2016
- Worked at Secondary School teaching VCE Methods and VCE Specialist Maths 2017
- I have worked with VCE students on a consistent basis for 15 years!
Small Group Private Lesson
This is only for online sessions for groups of 2 or more students. Due to time availability I don't organise student groups - if you are interested, please ensure that you are able to bring a friend.
$40 per student per hour (minimum 2 students)
Joined Tutor Finder on 24-Jan-2007 (updated profile on 18-Nov-2020)