An experienced and empathetic tutor to get you the OC results you want
Sydney tutor in English, Geometry, Maths, Maths Methods, Reading
Hi, I'm Louise!
You may have seen me on here before offering private tutoring. I've since opened my own education centre, Academy Squared, which specialises in helping students prepare and ace the 2022 Opportunity Class examination. We are currently welcoming two cohorts (of four students each) to attend weekly classes and monthly test days with classes beginning in January 2022.
We teach a specially-designed curriculum which has been carefully curated to not only teach concepts and test material but to incorporate life skills such as communication, problem solving and teamwork skills in to our classroom.
Our mission at Academy Squared is to provide a learning haven for students to infinitely square their knowledge in a place where limits are scared to exist.
Why choose us?
We genuinely care
I (Louise, Head Tutor and Founder), work a 9-5pm corporate job but that hasn't stopped me from tutoring since 2014. I've kept teaching on the side because I care about my students - the delight of understanding a concept and the realisation that they CAN indeed do it is a feeling I can never get enough of. I've opened Academy Squared to be able to magnify my impact within my capacity and reach.
We focus on fostering a love of learning, not a love for good marks
What I always hear is stories of people who graduate high school and realise life is not a test with good marks as the goal. They struggle to find meaning and purpose which I believe is strongly attributed to being told to focus on marks and not learning. The culture at Academy Squared is to celebrate learning, growing and curiosity. Good marks might tell us we're on the right track but they're not the end goal for us here at A Squared.
We focus on skills AND content
It's one thing to understand and it's another to communicate your understanding to someone else. In our collaborative learning environment at A Squared, our students leave the classroom with understanding but also clarity in thought and communication. These soft skills of critical thinking and communication are just as important as understanding content.
In my six years of tutoring, I've taught:
- In a tutoring centre (Little Geniuses in Burwood) and privately
- Over 30 students ranging from Year 2 to University
- A wide range of traditional and unique subjects and skills (my specialty is in English and Maths with a strong skill focus in essay writing and logical thinking)
The best way to demonstrate my qualification is to share some of my wonderful students' achievements.
- Early offer for Bachelor of Teaching at the Australian Catholic University (from near failing test results in Year 9)
- Offer to study a Bachelor of Psychology at Macquarie University (from near failing test results in Year 10)
- Receiving a high Band 5 with a mark of 88 in the HSC English exams and studying a Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW (from failing English exams just months prior to starting tutoring in Year 12)
- Partial scholarship received in Selective School after 6 months of tutoring (1 hour a week) for the Selective test
Please keep in mind these results are not all owed to my teaching. I have had the privilege of tutoring students who are hard working and responded well to my teaching methods. Synergy between the way I teach and the way a student learns is crucial in getting results and this synergy is closely examined in the first few interactions and classes we have together.
If you choose to enrol in one of our cohorts, you are able to enrol in one of two class packages.
Each package includes:
- 6 hours of Maths, Thinking and Reading class every 4 weeks (with homework provided each week)
- A 4-hour trial test day (lunch is organised)
Our four-week class package is $200 (averages $20/hr) and secures your child's spot for ~1 month.
Our 12-week package is $540 (averages $18/hr) and secures your child's spot for ~3 months.
The tuition fee is paid at the beginning of the teaching period.
Special Offer - Let's see if we're a good fit. First class is free
Working With Children Check
Yes, I'm cleared to work with children in New South Wales until 08-Feb-2026 (details available on request)
Joined Tutor Finder on 09-Nov-2021 (updated profile on 01-Jan-2022)