Experienced Language Tutor
Melbourne tutor in Algebra, Biochemistry, Biology, Business Studies, Calculus, Chemistry, Computing, Creative Writing, Dutch, Economics, Engineer, Engineering, English, English Literature, ESL, Essay Writing, Finance, French, General Science, Geography, German, History, Human Biology, Italian, Latin, Management, Maths, Microbiology, Philosophy, Physics, Politics, Reading, Russian, Society and Culture, Spanish, Special Needs, Statistics, intercultural communication, consultation for students who pursue overseas stu
Hi, my name is Bernhard Henger, I migrated from Germany to Australia in 2014, as my wife is Australian. I am fluent in German, English, French, Spanish, Italian
and Dutch; I also speak Russian and teach beginners' Russian. In addition, I have completed
extensive Latin studies and am able to provide Latin tuition.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IN LIGHT OF THE CURRENT COVID-19 CRISIS, ONLINE TUTORING IS BECOMING AN IMPORTANT OPTION FOR THOSE WISHING TO KEEP UP TO DATE WITH THEIR SCHOOL AND UNIVERSITY STUDIES. I OFFER ONLINE TUTORIALS VIA ZOOM, SKYPE OR MICROSOFT TEAMS AND HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH MAKING ONLINE TUTORIALS VIABLE AND ENGAGING. WHILST I PREFER FACE TO FACE TEACHING AND FEEL THIS IS ALWAYS A PREFERABLE OPTION, ONLINE TUTORING IS CURRENTLY THE ONLY OPTION FOR MANY STUDENTS. PLEASE CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS HOW THIS MAY BENEFIT YOU.
By profession I am an Agricultural Engineer and I hold the German equivalent of a Master's Degree in Agricultural Sciences. A degree in Agricultural Sciences includes the areas of Maths, Statistics, applied Physics, Biology, Microbiology and Phytomedicine, among other areas of science. I had a long stint working as an agricultural insurance consultant and loss adjuster (10 years) in my home country up until my emigration to Australia. Before this I worked as a journalist for an agricultural magazine and as an agribusiness consultant.
I have been tutoring maths and general science, as well as English and German for foreigners for the past six years and have received positive feedback about my teaching style, which has been described as calm, reassuring and motivating. I teach both science and language subjects.
Part of my work as an agricultural insurance consultant/loss adjuster in Germany was based in Belgium and the Netherlands, so I had the chance of bringing my French and Dutch language ability up to fluent levels. Teaching languages is always a wonderful experience for me as I am able to assist my students in broadening their cultural awareness, as they expand their language abilities.
- Private tutoring in Science and Language subjects in Bonn, Germany as well as in Melbourne,
Australia (the latter since my immigration in 2014)
- January 2018 - ongoing: Owner-operator at Melbourne tutoring company "Centre for Academic Skills & Languages"
- Assistant at German Saturday School Melbourne, Clifton Hill, 2015
- 15 years work experience in Germany; my last long-term occupation before I
immigrated to Australia was the role of insurance loss adjustor and sales representative
at a German agricultural insurance company (2003 - 2014)
- July 2016 - May 2020: German language teacher at the Temple Society Melbourne
Community Language School, Bayswater and East Bentleigh branches, teaching courses with groups of children, age range 8 - 15 years old
- 2017 - acting manager at "Language Matters" language school, Melbourne
- July 2016 - ongoing tutor for language school "Language Matters"
- 2017 - ongoing: Language Assistance/German conversation trainer at Carey Baptist Grammar school, Kew, Melbourne, in German and French
- February 2018 - ongoing: VCE level German teacher at the Victorian School of Languages, Box Hill
- German "Abitur" - equivalent to "VCE" or the International Baccalaureate (IB) in Victoria, Australia
- Master of Agricultural Sciences from the University of Bonn, Germany (Diplom Agrar-
Ingenieur - licensed Agricultural Engineer)
- French, Dutch, Italian and English Language certificates
- 60 hours TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certificate, i-to-i TEFL
- Working with Children Check
- 25 hours of professional development undertaken each year as a Community Language Teacher, such as attendance at VSL planning days and Association of German Teachers, VIC, meetings
$70 per hour
Working With Children Check
Yes, I'm cleared to work with children in Victoria until 24-Nov-2020 (details available on request)
Joined Tutor Finder on 03-Dec-2014 (updated profile on 17-Sep-2020)