English Extension 2 specialist, and mentor
Sydney tutor in Creative Writing, English
Literature, Essay Writing
Service areasCamperdown, Newtown, Eastern Suburbs
English Extension 2 specialist and mentor: with you from concept to completion.
Start with me from week one (first class is free), attend each class, put into practice the skills we cover and you will:
* improve every aspect of your Creative, Critical, Speech, or Poetry writing * stress less
* be proud of your literary output; and * achieve a high band E3 or 4.
English Extension 2 is challenging, but I will make it as enjoyable and rewarding as it should be (see some recent reviews below, or on my website http://www.ioneducation.com.au).
The HSC English Extension 2 Course is the most demanding (and rewarding) HSC English course available to high school students. It requires the completion of an extended composition (Major Work) which students live and breathe for almost 12 months, and a Reflection Statement (and don't forget about the internals!). For many students, it may be the most substantial single composition they complete in their lives (or at least until they are a postgraduate).
As a writer, I personally understand the sustained, and at times agonising, effort required to succeed in producing a Major Work, and the gnawing doubt that can affect a student’s ability, or confidence to complete (too many students discontinue! Though none of mine ever have) I bring this personal understanding to all of my students, and not only assist them in completing the Course to a high standard, but also producing work they can be proud of, and happy to read many years later.
I have guided students for over six years through the complex requirements of the English Extension 2 Course and under my guidance and mentorship all of my students have improved their writing/composition, research skills and their internal rank.
I specialise in mentoring students in the preparation of Short Story(ies), Poem(s), Speech writing and Critical Response.
I hold a Bachelor of Arts (English Literature and Art History) (2008) with First Class Honours (2009), and a Juris Doctor (2012) all from the University of Sydney. I practised as a litigation lawyer for 2 years, and left to pursue a career in writing. I am currently undertaking a Master of Creative Writing (30,000 word composition with exegesis).
As a brief overview, I assist my students with:
• all stages of planning and completing the Major Work, Journal and Reflection Statement;
• developing an extended composition which demonstrates depth, insight, originality, skills in independent investigation and textual integrity;
• your ongoing, systematic and rigorous investigation (independent research) into your chosen area;
• all of the internal assessments including the Viva Voce, Report, and Draft Major Work and Reflection on progress
Each class I provide students with a practical skill, that will not only assist in the Extension 2 Course, but also in their personal and academic lives beyond the HSC. I provide below a brief introduction, and summary, to my teaching timetable for short story composition:
First term of HSC Course (term 4):
• assist you in identifying an area of personal interest from your study of the preliminary and HSC English Advanced, and Extension Courses
• Workshop on research and research methods
• establish the foundations of your Major Work journal
• Establish a proposal and preliminary concept
• Prepare for the Viva Voce
First term into Second term (Term 4 to Term 1):
• Introduction to the rudiments of narrative (using literary examples):
• language, grammar, structure and punctuation
• Narrative point of view and narrative voice
• Style and technique
The Christmas holiday, and term 2 are dedicated to sustained, focused and practical composition (executing, and finalising a full draft of your Major Work).
Term 2-3 is dedicated to editing of the Major Work (a minimum of 8 weeks) and finalisation of the Reflection.
First class to discuss your concept is free (http://www.ioneducation.com.au or firstname.lastname@example.org)
In 2015-2016 I worked full time in a large tutoring centre in Sydney, and have since established my own tutoring business, Ion Education, and have taught all levels of high school English (7-12), over 300 students in English, but now specialise in Extension 2.
Master of Creative Writing (USYD) (Current)
BA (Hons 1) Majoring in English Literature with a 20,000 word thesis USYD (2009)
JD (Juris Doctor) USYD (2012)
Walter Reid Memorial Prize for academic excellence USYD (2009)
Highest Aggregate Mark Environmental Law LPAB (2014)
More than 3000 face to face hours of full-time tutoring 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018
First class to discuss concept is free
Special Offer - First class, to discuss your concept, is free.
Working With Children Check
Yes, I'm cleared to work with children in New South Wales until 30-Nov-2019 (details available on request)
Joined Tutor Finder on 24-Sep-2016 (updated profile on 08-Sep-2018)