Tutoring for students of any ability :)
Eastern Victoria tutor in English, Essay Writing, English Literature, Creative Writing, Reading, Maths, Extended Investigation
I travel to these locationsHughesdale, Oakleigh, Clayton, Eastern Suburbs
Hi there! My name is Sarah and I'm currently accepting new tutoring clients for 2020 :)
With a focus on English and Literature content including essays, oral presentations, spelling, grammar and creative writing, I'm looking to help students in years 11 and 12.
I've been tutoring VCE students for six years, and in particular I have specialised in working with kids who are struggling with the basics of English. The way teachers and textbooks explain things doesn't click with everyone, and I take pride in my ability to present the content in a language every student can understand. I've developed a number of essay guides and formulas that will help these students work smart, not hard, so that they have a solid foundation to build upon.
As a Literary Studies major, I’m also capable of teaching students who want to really refine their skills. Close textual analysis has been the focus of my university studies, so I’m passionate about helping students understand and write about their set texts so that they can produce consistently high scoring essays.
Regular practice is crucial to success in English, so I expect my students to write an essay every week. To support them with this I supply notes, extra homework, essay prompts and out of hours help. I provide detailed, sentence by sentence feedback so that students are able to reflect and improve on all aspects of essay writing including argument, grammar and prose.
I can meet for lessons at the Oakleigh, Clayton, Carnegie or Monash University libraries, or I can travel to you! Please note extra charges may apply if I need to travel more than 10km. I charge $60 per hour for VCE students. For people who do not want regular tutoring, I also provide essay feedback and editing via Google Docs. The cost for this is $20 per VCE essay and from $30 per tertiary level essay.
I've received a lot of positive feedback from previous students, so I'm happy to provide references upon request. I understand that parents want to find the absolute best tutor for their child, so I'm more than happy to meet up for an interview to help you decide if I'm the right tutor for you. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to book an interview. I have limited places so be sure to contact me if you're interested!
Thank you for your consideration :)
- I have been taking on up to 10 new students for the past 6 years. Working with so many different kids has developed my ability to cater my teaching approach to a diverse range of abilities and learning mindsets.
- Since 2018 I have been volunteering as a mentor to high school students from disadvantaged areas via the Smith Family and the Access Monash program. This has not only been an extremely rewarding experience, it has improved my ability to connect with students who are struggling with their studies and their self-confidence.
- I have volunteered as a teacher's aide and worked as a baby sitter, so I have extensive experience communicating with kids of various ages and in small and large groups.
- Completed VCE in 2015 with an ATAR of 94.2. I studied English, Literature, Psychology, Extended Investigation and Further Maths.
- Completed a Bachelor of Arts at Monash University in 2019, achieving a WAM of 86.6 and a GPA of 3.9/4. I majored in Literary Studies and Film and Screen Studies, with a minor in History.
- Lessons are $60 per hour for VCE students.
- Essay editing and feedback via Google Docs is $20 per VCE essay, and from $30 per tertiary level essay.
Working With Children Check
Yes, I'm cleared to work with children in Victoria until 12-May-2021 (details available on request)
Joined Tutor Finder on 06-Jul-2015 (updated profile on 07-Mar-2020)