Final year medical student with experience in tutoring
Cairns tutor in Algebra, Anatomy, Bahasa Malaysia, Biochemistry, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Communication, Creative Writing, English, English Literature, ESL, Essay Writing, Further Maths, GAMSAT, General Science, Human Biology, IELTS, Indonesian, Maths, Maths Methods, Medical Interviews, Medicine, Microbiology, Physiology, Reading, Statistics, TOEFL, UMAT
I believe that every student can excel as long as they find a method that works for them. This means that I do not just aim to teach them the content, but also seek to find ways that can make the subject more enjoyable and manageable for the student. I believe that each student is unique and I learn together with them in the journey of achieving excellence.
I started tutoring under the National Slow Learning Program in my home country (Malaysia) when I discovered the joy of helping each student reach their full potential and enjoy learning. I then expanded to volunteer with organisations to teach high school students in addition to helping school leavers with their university applications and overseas scholarships.
I work with my students to create learning plans that best suit their needs, and help them keep on top of their course curriculum through additional practice questions. I firmly believe that understanding of the course material is vital to be able to interpret and answer questions correctly, and therefore tailor my lesson plans to achieve this goal.
Being realistic, it is also important to remember that knowing the content is insufficient when it comes to scoring in exams, and I therefore also emphasise the need to be able to interpret questions accurately.
I am able to tutor students from year 5-12 in:
- Biology - Chemistry - Creative writing - IELTS - University applications - GAMSAT - UMAT - Second Languages (Malay and Tamil) - Logical reasoning
I have tutored previously in one-on-one sessions as well as group settings, and have adjusted my teaching methods to what is required.
- Was under the National CHILD Committee in preparing lesson plans for the slow learning programme for ages 5-20.
- Tutored ESL students on logical reasoning, creative writing and to prepare for IELTS.
- Coached university students on debate and public speaking strategies for 2 years.
- Taught grade 9 mathematics and science in a private tutorial class of 20 for 10 months.
- Currently in my 6th year of my Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery program (Honours).
- School representative in Singapore National Mathematical Olympiad.
- School representative for Mock United Nations, as well as various debating and public speaking competitions.
- Silver medalist in international Commonwealth essay writing competition, open category (all ages).
- Association of South East Asian Nations Scholarship recipient.
- Straight As in School Leaving exams.
- 9.0 IELTS score (full score).
- Accepted into 4 different medical schools in the country, including Monash University.
- Skipped grade 9.
$45 per hour
Mention that you found this advertisement on Tutor Finder and you will receive your first lesson for half the normal hourly rate ($22.5 instead of $45).
Joined Tutor Finder on 19-Mar-2018 (updated profile on 24-Jan-2019)